Skip to main content

Chicken Lasagna

This creamy, cheesy, chicken lasagna was a huge hit with my family. They couldn't get enough! I found this recipe on Better Than Burgers, a blog with tons of yummy recipes cooked up by a pretty mother-daughter team, Julie and Dayna. I knew that my family would eat this, because there's not one thing in here that they don't like, but I had no idea how much they would enjoy it.

It was really simple to make too! I started by melting a couple of tablespoons of butter in a skillet. Then I added a pound of so of cut up boneless, skinless chicken breast and 2-3 cloves of minced garlic. I cooked the chicken just until it was no longer pink and removed it from the skillet.

Then I combined 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, a block of light cream cheese, 2 cups of light sour cream, and skim milk in the skillet. Because I only had oven ready (no boil) noodles, I also stirred in around a cup of water to soften up those noodles. Stir the ingredients together and bring them to a boil. Then, reduce to a simmer and stir the chicken back in to the mixture.

I built the lasagna by spreading some sauce on the bottom of a 9 X 13 inch baking dish, followed by noodles, then cheese. I repeated until the sauce was gone and the pan was full, ending with sauce and then cheese. If you're using "regular" lasagna noodles for this recipe, just cook them according to the package directions before using. Put the baking dish into a 350 degree oven and bake it for 20-25 minutes (a little longer if you're using oven ready noodles) until it's all hot and bubbly and melty. : )

As I said above, this dinner was a huge hit! I sprinkled some Italian spices over the top for garnish.

Chicken Lasagna adapted from Better Than Burgers

2-3 cloves minced garlic
2 T. butter (use the real stuff)
1 to 1- 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, cubed into small pieces
2 cans cream chicken soup
1-8 oz light cream cheese
2 c. light sour cream
1 c. skim milk
1 box lasagna noodles prepared according to package instructions
3-4 c. grated Monterrey Jack cheese
1-2 c. shredded Swiss cheese
Italian spice or dipping spices, for sprinkling over the top (optional)

In a large frying pan saute chicken and garlic in melted butter until the chicken is no longer pink. Removed chicken and keep warm.

Add cream soup, cream cheese, sour cream, and milk, to the skillet. Stir until ingredients melt and thicken slightly. Add chicken and continue to stir. Turn heat down and simmer for 2-3 minutes.

Spread a thin layer of sauce in a 9x13 baking dish. Then layer noodles, then cream sauce with chicken, then cheese. Continue to repeat until your pan is full, ending with cheese on top. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Notes: I used oven ready lasagna noodles for this recipe for the first time ever. I read up about them and discovered that you need to add a little extra liquid (in this case either broth or water) and cook the dish a little longer. I think I cooked mine about 10-15 minutes longer. I was pleased with the result and would use oven ready lasagna noodles again.

You could make this a day ahead or even make it and freeze it for a quick dinner later. Give it a try!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marry Me Meatballs

 I can’t say no to crockpot recipes and Your Barefoot Neighbor shared this one so I had to try it. I’d like to say my children aren’t picky but they all have their own quirks when it comes to food and my youngest daughter didn’t care for the sun-dried tomatoes. Everyone else enjoyed it as it is.  Marry Me Meatballs Ingredients 2 lbs frozen Italian meatballs 4 C chicken stock 1 jar sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped  1 can cream of chicken soup Italian seasoning Garlic powder Onion powder  Red pepper flakes 2 lbs gnocchi (shelf stable ones) 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream Baby spinach  Shredded Parmesan cheese (I used shaved Parmesan) Directions Add meatballs, chicken stock, cream of chicken soup, sun-dried tomatoes and seasonings to crockpot. Cook on high for 3 hours. When that is done add in your gnocchi, heavy cream and baby spinach and cook for another 30 minutes on high. Top with the Parmesan cheese. Serve with garlic toast. 

Sausage & Rice Casserole

 Last night we failed to pull anything out of the freezers for dinner. Seems to be a common thing here in this house and it’s quite frustrating. I went to my fridge and saw the mushrooms I had gotten and remembered there was a TikTok recipe for them. Y’all this was the EASIEST meal!  Sausage & Rice Casserole Ingredients  1 lb Jimmy Dean sausage 2 pouches of Uncle Ben’s long grain and wild rice  1 1/2 C. Mozzarella or Cheddar cheese, shredded  1 can of golden mushroom soup 1 package of sliced mushrooms  Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown sausage, add in mushrooms once almost all the way cooked. While that’s cooking down, pop your rice pouches in the microwave per the instructions. When they’re done add them in with the sausage and mushrooms. Also add in your can of golden mushroom soup and the shredded cheese. Mix it all up and put in the oven for 15 minutes. 

Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes

Oh man! This side dish is absolutely one we will be keeping around! It’d be really good on the smoker too! I do feel like it’s missing some seasonings so the next go around we will play with adding in some smoked paprika and garlic too!  Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes Ingredients   8 medium russet potatoes, thinly sliced 2 medium onion, sliced into rings salt and ground black pepper to taste 6 tablespoons butter 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon salt 4 cups milk 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese   Directions   Gather all ingredients. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a 2-quart casserole dish. Layer 1/2 of the potatoes in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish; season with salt and pepper. Layer onion slices over top, then top with remaining potatoes. Season again with salt and pepper. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gradually whisk in flour and salt and cook, whisking constantly until raw flour flavor has cooked off, abo...